The City of Palm Bay provides its residents and businesses with opportunities to enhance the quality of their lives while living and working in an affordable and safe environment. One of its ultimate goals, “sustainable growth” is an inherent characteristic of Palm Bay as stated in its motto, “A Perfect Place to Grow.” In an effort to build good places for people to live and to be good environmental stewards, Palm Bay is inspired to be a sustainable community and to lead by example.
Here are some highlights of City sustainable initiatives:
Fleet Services Division
- In 2009, 3 hybrid vehicles were deployed in Code Compliance to save on fuel and reduce the City’s carbon footprint.
- In 2010, a fuel efficient Chevrolet Equinox was procured as a Fleet pool vehicle and encourages car pooling of up to 5 passengers.
- The adoption and use of LED emergency vehicle lighting has prolonged battery life in such equipped vehicles thus reducing the frequency of battery replacement and need to recycle.
- Bio Diesel B-20 has been used in Fleet operations since 2007.
- Shop waste fluids, batteries, and tires are recycled on a continuous basis.
- Florescent bulbs in the shop and fleet offices have been converted to more energy efficient T-8’s in the past 3 years.
- The fleet roof was repaired with a reflective and insulated coating. The Fleet roof was top coated with a reflective/insulated coating designed to preserve the integrity of the building while reducing cooling and heating costs. This helps reduce cooling costs during summer months.
- Programmable thermostats control A/C and heat setting in Fleet offices resulting in a reduction in energy consumption.